Thursday, August 2, 2012

Home At Last

Finally arrived home yesterday after almost two weeks at the National Roller Figure Skating Championship in Lincoln, Nebraska.  For those not in the know, my partner coaches figure skating and had three skaters in the competition which is why I was there.

It was a fun but exhausting trip during which I played chauffeur.  From the time we flew into Omaha until the time we left we were constantly on the go.  We usually started the day with early morning practice at the Ice Box followed by some practice at either Pershing Auditorium where the events were held or at a local rink, Skate Zone.  Then we might have time to go back to the hotel to clean up or to grab som lunch then it was either off to more practice or to competition.  In between those things (or sometimes during them) I explored a large portion of downtown Lincoln on foot or the further stretches of the city by auto to photograph buildings.  Finally we would roll into bed about midnight to start it all over again at five or six the next morning.

We tried to go out with friends one night but Wednesday didn't seem to be particularly jumping and exhaustion won out after one drink and we headed in for some sleep.  We did manage a little sight seeing.  A couple of days before we left we all visited the National Roller Skating Museum and on our last day in Lincoln Nick and I along with one of his skating families visited the State Capitol building which was incredibly impressive in every way.

We spent our last day in Nebraska visiting Omaha where we visited their fantastic zoo and then did a little exploring downtown before the unbearable heat and the fact that all of my camera batteries were dead caused us to call it quits.  While waiting for our hotel shuttle to pick us up we sought shelter in a tequila bar where tasty (and very strong) raspberry margaritas quenched our dry throats and the bartender gave us tequila shots and downed one with us.

I was a little disappointed to not get to spend more time in Omaha and was especially sad when my batteries died just as I had discovered several buildings I was very anxious to photograph.  I can't be too sad, however, I did take aroung 1300 pictures in Nebraska for Places to Go, Buildings to See.

1 comment: