Friday, August 3, 2012

Garden Of The Dead

I didn't really want to post these on Places To Go Buildings to see since they're not buildings so I thought I would do it here.  Actually there are a few pics of a chapel and some mausoleums that will be posted on the other blog at some point.  These were all taken at Wyuka Cemetery in Lincoln, Nebraska.  The cemetery has a park-like feel and actually has a self-guided tour (directions available on line) through the cemetery to interesting or historically important graves and monuments.  I didn't know this ahead of time but luckily there are signs posted in the cemetery for each stop on the tour so I paused at these locations to see what might be of interest to me.  My interests were focused on aesthetics and not history. 

First up is what I'm guessing is just a general war memorial.  It is not listed in the walking tour but may be a part of the Soldier's Circle section of the cemetery.  There were two of these monuments that I saw and the photos are a little of each.  The streamline look of these I found to be very appealing.






War Memorial


Next is the Nebraska Firefighter's Memorial.  Directly across the road from this was what I later figured out was a 9/11 memorial but didn't have the time to drive back through the cemetery to photograph it.  That memorial was two red I-beams jutting out of the ground to represent the towers.  It was interesting.


Nebraska Firefighters Memorial

Next came a very striking and modern Holocaust Memorial.


Holocaust Memorial

Now just a series of family monuments.





Allington Family Monument

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! And I like the idea of that 9/11 memorial you describe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was certainly interesting. When I saw it my thought was "what are they building over there?" Only later did I figure it out and felt really stupid.

    ReplyDelete