Monday, June 13, 2011

Hukilau 2011

So I just got home yesterday from Hukilau 2011 in Fort Lauderdale.  This was my first time going and boy was it fun.  Three days of tiki culture overload.  Tasty tropical beverages, kick-ass surf inspired rock and exotica bands, tiki and mid-century symposiums, parties, fire-eating mermaids, dancing, fantastic people, shopping and dining culminating with an evening at the Mai-Kai restaurant and Polynesian revue made this a weekend to remember.

It was an inspirational weekend from a creative standpoint. I was really happy to meet Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily of whose work I'm a huge fan.  But even besides them I met lots a great artistic people and was inspired by many of the works that were on display or for sale.  There are now several new mediums at which I would like to try my hand.  So far this year has been a great renaissance for me artistically and this weekend kicked that up several notches.

Me, Sherill Anne Gross (who is both a fantastic artist and super groovy chick) and my Hukilau roommate Sue. Not terribly visible is my Pele t-shirt which I made for the event.  It started as a photograph I took of the Pele tiki at Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room which was designed by the amazing Rolly Crump.  With a dash of photo manipulation and some digital painting I had a great graphic I could wear.  I'll be sure to post a better picture of that soon. 

My Hukilau roommates (Sue and Jason Tiki Tackett) and I in the Mai Kai gardens after dinner Saturday night

The Exotics rock the house while the revelers dance.

Kevin Kidney autographing my Black Magic snifter featuring artwork he created for the Hukilau.

Jody Daily waiting for his chance to sign.

Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid at the unbelievably cool Wreck Bar at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach.

Enjoying some cocktails at the Mai-Kai with Tiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment